Printing from IBM PCs to a network printer
To print to the laser printer:
- Open up the document you wish to print.
- Go to the file menu and select print. Make sure the
printer selected is HP LaserJet 4/4M Postscript on
- Hit the print button. Your file will be saved as
- Next, open up WS_FTP
. This can be found in the Internet Software folder. WS_FTP
is an FTP client, a program used to transfer files from one computer to
another over the internet - in this case, from the PC you are using to
your WJH account.
- In the box that appears on the screen, enter the host name as
wjh.harvard.edu. Also enter your WJH username and
password in the appropriate boxes. Click Okay.
- In the new window that appears, select binary as
the mode of transfer.
- On the left hand side of the window, click the
ChgDir button. In the box that appears, type
C:\ and click Okay. Now double click on
the TMP directory (you may need to scroll down to find
it), and then select the file lasertmp.ps.
- Now click on the arrow pointing to the right -->.
This should put the file in your home directory on wjh.harvard.edu. Quit
- Now telnet to WJH using whatever telnet program you prefer (EWAN,
telnet, etc...). This can be found in the Internet Software folder where
WS_FTP program was.
- At the UNIX prompt, type:
lpr -Plw1372 lasertmp.ps
This will print your file to the laser printer in room 1372.
William James Hall Computer Services
Research Engine |
WJH Home | WJHCS]
Mar 20, 1998, 15:02:30 EST